Become a Foster Parent
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a foster parent, please contact Joyce at 914-591-7300, x3165 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foster parents offer love and structure to children who have been abused and abandoned by their natural families. Abbott House foster parents care for children from birth to age 21. Foster parenting can last until the child is reunited with his/her birth parent(s), or until the child is permanently adopted. Adoption opportunities can be and frequently are explored by the foster parent(s).
Because foster parenting can become a lifetime commitment, visiting with another foster parent can prove to be highly effective in deciding whether or not it is for you. Once you contact Abbott House to become a foster parent, you will be invited to an orientation session which covers foster parenting.
Although the process of becoming a foster parent may seem lengthy, the rewards last a lifetime. Here are a few things you will be asked to do to become a foster parent with Abbott House.
- Undergo a screening process which requires a background check
- Complete an application and provide information about your past residences, employment history, past child caring experiences, and reasons why you want to be a foster parent
- Provide your medical history and take a physical exam
- A home study will also be required to determine how your home is set up, who you live with and what type of environment the child will live in
- Participate in trainings
- You must also decide during this process what kind of child you want to have in your home. Preferences include age, sex and level of difficulty of care required. Some children can exhibit independence at an early age, while others require full time assistance. There are also different levels of emotional and developmental disabilities. With the right guidance and support system, you will have the opportunity to fully explore all available options to meet your capabilities.
ATTENTION ALL NEW YORK CITY FOSTER PARENTS
Click the link below for all available Trainings for November 2013.
ATTENTION ALL WESTCHESTER FOSTER PARENTS
Click the link below for all available Support Groups for 2013.