Tuesday Evening Art Program Volunteer
Tuesday Evening Art Program Volunteer *Full clearance required
Requirements: Friendly, creative, energetic individual with the ability to assist and/or plan and organize arts and crafts activities for children at Abbott House.
Location: Abbott House School Building, 100 North Broadway, Irvington, NY (Art Room 231)
Days & Times: Every Tuesday evening
- 5:30-6:00pm - Set up activity
- 6:00-7:00pm - Activity time
- 7:00-7:30pm - Clean up room
- Assist in developing, planning and organizing arts and crafts projects.
- Make a strong commitment to be here weekly or bi-monthly on Tuesday evenings.
- Arrive 30 minutes prior to the start of the program to help set up (stay 30 minutes after to coordinate clean up).
- Help explain the project to the children, provide assistance and engage with them.
- Encourage, praise, and chat with the children from Abbott House. Stay engaged!
- Bilingual (Spanish & English) preferred but not required.
- No art experience required.
Arts and crafts are a great therapeutic outlet for children who suffer trauma. Our kids are counting on you, so making a weekly or monthly commitment is important to this volunteer position.
Mentors: *Full Clearance required
Requirements: Desire to build a relationship with a foster child, serve as a positive role model, help identify their needs and offer ways to deliver a commitment of support and guidance in a way that makes sense.
Location: Based on your preference and available children.
Days & Times: Based on your schedule and your mentee's schedule.
- Spend time building a relationship with your mentee. A consistent commitment is essential to building trust.
- Talk to your mentee to identify their goals and areas where you can provide assistance (i.e. tutoring, college prep, teaching hobbies, etc.)
- Plan fun activities together that will help you bond.
- Be a good role model by putting forth a positive attitude. Share empowering experiences that will stimulate growth and build confidence.
- Celebrate achievements no matter how large or small. Positive encouragement fosters growth!
Requirements: Bilingual (Spanish & English) preferred but not required. Energetic and enthusiastic.
Location: TRC School, 100 North Broadway, Irvington, NY (inside main building)
Days & times: Monday – Friday 8 am – 2pm
Reports to: Jimmy Armstrong
- Assist teachers with lesson plans and other independent projects as needed.
- Work one on one with the students (i.e. tutoring).
- Accompany teachers and students on day trips.
- If bilingual help translate English educational materials to Spanish.
- Assist with administering educational assessments.
- Support student with creative educational projects.
Looking for a way to make a difference in your local community? Help support a project need at Abbott House!
Kindness Jars: Raise self-esteem and spread smiles and encouragement to children and adults at Abbott House. Decorate plastic mason jars with paint, stickers, ribbon or other embellishments, and fill the jars with folded slips of paper that convey happy thoughts and positive affirmations. Kindness matters! Click here for instructions.
Happy Birthday Party Boxes: Make a difference in the life of a child or adult by helping them celebrate their birthday. Decorate boxes with celebration items, party favors, candles, small novelty items, gift cards, candy and hand-written cards to brighten their day. Help struggling families create lasting memories! Click here for instructions.
Dignity Suitcases: We want children who come into care and continue on their journeys beyond Abbott House to travel with dignity. Help us give every child a proper travel bag filled with a blanket, a journal, a mini hygiene kit, and a small stuffed animal so they can feel safe and secure as they adjust to their new environments. Click here for instructions.
Facebook Birthday Fundraisers: Help raise funds for Abbott House by creating a fundraiser on your Facebook page. Share your passion for our mission by choosing Abbott House as your charity of choice and invite your friends to donate to us in honor of your birthday. To learn more about these opportunities, please email development at email@example.com